Sunday 8 January 2012

Pork, Sage and Apple burgers.



      I don't know about your body, but sadly mine demands foodstuffs that aren't cake now and again. Shame really. So I thought I'd throw these cheap and tasty morsels on here. Simple to make, you can even indulge in child labour for the squishy mixing bits. I'm sure some pork mince squelching through the (washed) fingers would get a few "eeeeeeuugghh"s from them. The ingredients will make 2 meals worth for me, or about 6 fat burgers :) So here's what you need:



Ingredients:

  • 500g Reduced fat pork mince
  • 1 Onion finely chopped
  • 1 Free range egg
  • 1 Heaped tablespoon of dried sage
  • 5 Heaped tablespoons of breadcrumbs (I knew I'd forgotten something in the photo)
  • 1 apple - cored and peeled
  • 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 Clove of Garlic - pressed or 1 tsp dried garlic granules (Optional)
  • A sprinkly of Salt, pepper, mixed herbs to taste.


Preparation:

  1. Prep breadcrumbs in a processor or however you like to make them.
  2. Finely chop an onion and place in a bowl.
  3. Add breadcrumbs, sage, salt, pepper and dried garlic and mix.
  4. Add pork mince and break it up/mix together with a knife.
  5. Add the beaten egg.
  6. Add Worcestershire sauce.
  7. Core, peel and grate in the apple.
  8. Get your hands in there and start squishing it all together, about 5 mins is plenty for medium speed squishing.
  9. Take bits of the mix and using those hand things you used just now, and pat together to make burgers the size you want. The mix will make about 6-8 burgers.
  10. Fry, grill, BBQ (Trying to not charcoal them too much) and eat.
  11. Myself, after spending time lovingly crafting these burgers, I like to cut them up and mix together with new potatoes and baked beans. I know, I'm a posh git :)
There is a lazier version of these in which they don't end up as burgers, or with apple in lol 
Boil some spuds. Gently fry off some onion then add salted spuds and fry them. Stick them on a plate. Tip 250g pork mince into pan, add a sprinkling of Worcestershire sauce, sage, salt and pepper. Beat an egg and mix that in. When cooked, add the potato back to the pan, mix together, then either chuck some baked beans on top or heat them seperately, fry for a bit longer to heat the potato back up. Serve in a big heap on a plate!

Being of a herby stylee, I thought I'd add this to the Lavender and Lovage Herbs on Saturday blog challenge run by Karen, mainly just to balance out the inevitable quality, fancy recipes that will be entered :D



Keep watching this blog for more Michelin star recipes :D







To thank the pigs for providing a tasty treat, here is the story of them heroically out-witting the nasty wolf. Pigs in a Polka from 1943, set to Johannes Brahms's Hungarian Dances




Now for a bit of Brett and the boys from the 90's Suede - We are the Pigs.





Kenny Everett as Julian Mince. Well, I LOL'd :)





And now for something completely different... Birdy - People Help the People. Wonderful.




Also, One of my favourite Jane's Addiction songs Pigs in Zen , and a nice messy March of the Pigs from Trent and co. 





7 comments:

  1. Burgers with Suede! Good choice!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum Dave. Just yum,, yum , yummity yum - see I did with a tune!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe, the burgers look delicious (until you 'Murdered' them!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! I murder most of my food :)

      Delete
  4. Dave, I think these are LOVELY! I adore pork with sage and this is a brilliant entry into May's Herbs on Saturday blog challenge! THANKS so much for sharing this! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very welcome :) They are nice basic tasty little morsels that suit my culinary talents :)

      Delete
  5. Yummy this sounds delicious, Gonna give these ago one evening this week, thanks for sharing.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete